As I am writing this, the topic of discussion among many of us this weekend is to Give Yourself a Break During Summer Break.
In a land far, far away. A time when Mom’s dreamed of Summer break. A time where memories are made, kids are happy to be with each other. Hugging, being kind, sharing, reading books in 30 minute blocks and doing all of their chores with happy hearts…
Now, Back to Life, Back to Reality.
For all of you Momma’s out there who started off summer with organized plans, goals, and well, dreams of an easy going and laid back summer… welcome to reality.
- Splash Pad
- Swimming Pool
- Becoming Best Friends with Someone who has a swimming pool
- ice cream shop
- picnic at the park
- Nature trail
- walk down the road
- Visit the park
- Wal-Mart Fish aisle (Don’t judge, this is the best)
- Having a friend over
- Water hose fun
- Built a castle
- Build a fort
- Build a palace
- Play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Raquetball, Croquet
- Go to the Doughnut Shop
- Vertical Jump (indoor trampoline place)
- Plant a garden
- Plant flower pots
- Take flower pots to the nursing home
- Help a neighbor
- Help an elderly person with their yard
- Be a chef-Take turns making a meal with certain ingredients
- Make cookies
- Go to a free music concert in a park or at a college
- Make an obstacle course
- Time each other on the obstacle course
- Water balloons
- Bike rides
- Teach your kid to ride a bike so you can do the bike ride
- Nerf Gun War
- Water Gun Fight
- Play Makeup
- Play Dress up
- Watch a movie outside
- Roast marshmallows and hot dogs (marshmallows come first please)
- Flashlight tag at night
- Catch lightening bugs
- Sidewalk Chalk contest
- Sponge war
- Baby pool sponge war
- Go to a water park
- Go to an Amusement Park
- Face Paint
- Soccer Game
- Dodge ball
- Go on a Treasure Hunt
- Visit an Indian Mound
- Go to a museum
- Make a necklace
- Get a pedicure/manicure
- Go to an orchard
- Make a slip and slide
- Visit a farm
- Go to a Zoo
- Dress Up
Now for what actually happened in our family:
- Library-boys complained they didn’t want to go. Everyone fought over hitting the button in the elevator. One of the kids almost got on the elevator without us.
- Swimming Pool. This is the most fun for us. We have an above ground pool that basically keeps overflowing because of lack of being level in our yard. It does work to my advantage-it’s even not deep for the 3 year old. Every time we put on sunscreen someone shakes like they are having a seizure because I’m covering their face with it or uses an entire bottle that they look like a ghost going outside to play.
- ice cream shop- it’s the best…but costs money.
- Visit the park-could only do this once or twice. We are in the South. It feels like Hades.
- Wal-Mart Fish aisle- long story but I ended up having to page my 10 year old over the intercom at Wal-Mart because of the fish. Let’s just leave there, um k?
- Having a friend over-we have done this several times. It’s great and easy, but other families have lives as well.
- Water hose fun. Someone is screaming because they were shot in the face with the hose.
- Build a fort-fine and dandy for 5 minutes until the 3 year old decided to stand up, then it all came tumbling down. Which resulted in the other siblings getting ticked off, which resulted in yelling and screaming at each other.
- Bubbles: Did I mention it’s hot? Oh, and they were dumped in abuot 5 minutes.
- Play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Raquetball, Croquet: We have one child who is pretty particular about games…he has to win. And you see, that doesn’t always happen. And when he is not winning, well, there proceeds to be griping, complaining, whining, and giving up.
- McDonald’s-this is a win. Just costs money.
- Plant a garden-this has been something we did together plus we work in it together. However, work + children= You are a Mom. I don’t have to even write this one.
- Make cookies- they are gone in 15 minutes.
- Time each other on the obstacle course: This is so awesome! We found a new park with American Ninja Warrior like obstacles. THE BEST.
- Water balloons: last for 5 minutes.
- Nerf Gun War: All is fun til someone gets hurt.
- Water Gun Fight: Repeat number 24.
- Play Makeup: I had a pink child, even clearisil couldn’t get it off.
- Play Dress up: Love it 🙂
- Flashlight tag at night: This is where memories are made 🙂 Forget the people-sized mosquitoes for living near a river.
- Catch lightening bugs: Same as 29. Did you know that firefly guts can be used as a glow in the dark paint? I’m just saying.
- Soccer Game- Hot as Hades.
- Make a necklace: Fun for hours. Nothing better than beads and pipe cleaner.
- Visit a farm: We live on one. Novelty is not here for us.
- Paint: fun for a bit.
- Color: Fun for a bit.
- Dress Up: Fun for a bit.
Note for 38, 40, and 41- These are fun for a bit… then Mom gets to clean it up.
Now, we have made it to the time in Summer that I think God is calling all parents to think about and pray for the teachers. Because, now these lovely human beings that God has blessed us with, that we have been around 24/7 since school let out over 2 months ago, now it is time to send them to their teachers.
And how do we know this?
- The kids can look at their sibling and it is World War 3.
- We have now resulted in using plungers (luckily they are clean that I bought for a VBS prop) as suction cups around the house. Side note: they do not stick to the walls. Just ask me how I know this. However, they can be treated as Pogo sticks.
- When asking to get on the internet for their Christmas list (yes, Christmas in July I guess) both older siblings start quarreling over who gets it first. And Mom turns around and boldly says, “Neither of you get to do it now SINCE YOU CAN’T GET ALONG!” And it takes every ounce of my will power not to stick out my tongue at them and say, “Na na, na-na- na”
- Eating healthy is out the window. By 9:30 the kids are for asking for ice cream, and we cave just for some peace for 5 minutes.
I think God does this for a reason. It’s like being pregnant. The last month is so incredibly uncomfortable. We are hot, moody, tired, hungry but can’t eat, sleepy but can’t get comfortable. I think God does it this way so we want this baby to come out of us. Forget the being tired for months on end, who are we kidding, years on end. Forget the mood swings, the hot flashes, the constant worrying, the crying, the smell of poop and being peed on.
We want this baby out.
Same thing for school with me here. You see, my oldest daughter is going to Kindergarten this year. I thought I was going to be a basket case. My baby, my girl growing up. And don’t get me wrong, I am sad, I will miss her. But I think God did this on purpose: 1. She is so stinkin excited I can’t be too sad. and 2. She and her siblings are literally getting along as well as oil and water right now so a little peace and quiet around here (with just 1 little person being home with me) I have a feeling I’m going to be a Ok.
I just can’t watch the end of Toy Story 3 for a while… um say never again.
So Mom’s, may we be strong, may be not pull out our hair.
May our kids get along, may they even share.
And when they don’t, we will make it to the end and finished.
And if we eat a whole pan of chocolate cake, it is okay if it’s diminished.
Here’s to you Moms, may we close out summer break in style.
School is almost here, and let us cheer!
So give yourself a break during this Summer Break!